In this digital age, how you manage your information could directly impact your growth and profitability. IT teams and MSPs often struggle with inefficient documentation processes, where they have to manually sift through paperwork to manage information. Considering the rate at which technology is evolving today, this is no longer a viable option. Automated documentation or smart IT documentation is the way forward.
If you are struggling with information management, smart documentation could be your best bet to bring order to all the chaos. In this blog, we’ll deep dive into how you can maintain great documentation and what features to look for in a smart documentation tool.
To learn how you can implement a productive documentation culture inside your business, download our free ebook today.
Need for Smart Documentation
The IT requirements of businesses are evolving every day. These changes also require complicated IT solutions in everything ranging from asset management to documentation. Gone are the days where technicians were able to manage everything with the information stored in their brains. With the sheer amount of data generated every day, a smart documentation tool is the best way to handle this overwhelming amount of information.
By automating the day-to-day processes, smart documentation improves your team’s efficiency. Not only does it save time and money, it also brings consistency to the process and provides instant access to information. Technicians don’t have to shuffle through wads of paperwork to get things done anymore. Everything from asset information to SOPs to guidelines can be accessed at their fingertips, from anywhere.
How to Maintain Great IT Documentation
To make the most out of smart documentation, you need to establish and maintain great IT documentation first. It all starts with building a documentation culture in your organization.
- Building a documentation culture: In many cases, MSPs and IT teams face resistance when they introduce a new process to their existing documentation. However, it is worth looking at the long-term picture and the benefits you can achieve through smart documentation. You need to bring your team into the fold by explaining how smart documentation can make their life easier. Only when the benefits are visible will your team embrace the documentation culture.
- Establish regular cadence: Documentation is not a one-and-done job. It is a process that requires regular cadence. You need to periodically review your documentation processes and flag items that don’t comply with your needs.
- Use the right tools: Unlike manual documentation, smart documentation requires the right tools that can automate the process. For instance, IT Glue can automatically document all your information in its SOC-2 compliant platform and provide you with a framework for an organization-wide implementation. Moreover, you can share the information within your team and have it readily available whenever you want. Tools like these can ensure transparency, consistency and efficiency in your documentation process.
Features to Look for in Your Documentation Tool
Smart documentation aims to boost efficiency in your work process and helps save valuable time and money. An ideal documentation tool should include the following features.
- Integration: Your documentation tool should be able to eliminate silos by integrating with major RMM, PSA and BDR platforms in the market. Only when your tools work well with each other can you boost efficiency and eliminate waste. Higher efficiency translates to higher profitability in the long run.
- Automation: Automation in IT documentation is an absolute no-brainer. Automation helps you reduce manual export or import of critical data. Also, this reduces documentation mistakes and prevents data duplication. Once you have automated all the redundant and tedious processes, you can significantly boost your competitive advantage in the market.
- Relationship mapping: With relationship mapping, your technicians can easily link related items and ensure faster resolution of critical IT issues. Smart documentation is all about accessing the right information with minimal search time. Relationship mapping can help you achieve this by pullingl up any information as quickly as possible, making it a must-have feature in any serious IT documentation tool.
In addition to these critical features, you can also look for other features, such as password vault, documentation collaboration, access control, asset tracking and more, in your documentation tool.
By implementing smart documentation, you can boost efficiency and bring consistency to your processes. The valuable time you save in documentation can be used in other critical processes and converted to profits. Most importantly, automatic documentation eliminates the mental stress associated with manual documentation. With the right tool, you can enjoy your summer holidays, worry-free.
How IT Glue Can Help?
As a leading cloud-based software company, we understand the importance of information management. With our SOC 2-compliant documentation platform, we can automate your documentation process and help you save valuable time. IT Glue also features an immutable audit trail, multi-factor authentication, and next-generation password management engine — all of which are fully integrated and linked with all your documentation. To see how IT Glue can help you, request a demo.
Found this article helpful? Share it with your social network using the icons below.